Parents may choose to either bring their child to and from camp or to fly them into the Reno airport. A charter bus takes campers to and from camp and the Reno airport ($60 each way). Our staff accompany each camper to the gate and on the bus. Flights into Reno are a great option for parents who do not wish to make the drive to camp.
Our physical address is 5390 Ice Pond Road, Portola, CA 96122. Not all GPS applications will get you to camp in the most efficient way. We recommend the following routes:
From the Bay Area/Sacramento:
Take 1-80 toward Reno. At Truckee, take Highway 89 north toward Quincy/ Sierraville. Go 25 miles to Sierraville, turn left at the stop sign and go about 3 miles to Sattley. Turn right at the Sattely Cash Store (as of May, 2015 the store is open!) onto A-23. Go 17 miles to Highway 70 and turn left. Go approximately 2 miles to Grizzly Road. Turn right on Grizzly Road and go about a half mile to the road on the left marked by our sign. Turn left and follow the road to the parking lot by the lake.
Take 395 North to Highway 70 towards Portola. Turn right on Grizzly Road.
Please bring campers to camp on Sunday between 11:30 AM and 1:30 PM. Please do not arrive early. We do not have staff to accommodate early arrivals.
When picking up your child at the end of Sessions 1, 2 , 3, 4 or 5, please arrive on Saturday between 10:30 AM and noon. For Session 6, please arrive between 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM.
Airline Travel Information
Please read carefully if your child will be flying to or from camp. Disregard if you will be bringing your child to camp.
- If your child is flying as an Unaccompanied Minor, pay all UM fees with your airline and complete the proper paperwork for the airline. Please list Katie Johnson, as the person to meet your child. You can use the camp address and phone number (5390 Ice Pond Road, Portola, CA 96122 - 530.832.4834).
- Some parents choose to fly with their child and come to camp. If you wish to do this, you may rent a car and bring your child to camp. Plan to arrive at camp between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Walton's is about a 45 minute drive from the airport. The charter bus from the airport to camp is only for campers arrving at the airport.
- If you are planning to have us meet your child at the Reno airport, book flights to arrive between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. If you would like your child to fly home from the Reno airport, book departing flights out of Reno between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Staff members meet campers at their gate for arrivals. Upon departure, staff members accompany campers to each gate.
- Complete the online transportation form for your child so we have the information we need. (Login to your account and go the the Forms Dashboard.) Your transportation form must be completed at least 2 WEEKS PRIOR to the start of your session.
- There is a $60 fee (per camper, each direction) for transportation to and from the Reno Airport.
Campers may also arrive by private plane at the small Nervino Airport in Beckwourth. Please plan to arrive between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Call our office to make arrangements to shuttle you to and from camp and the Nervino Airport. The Nervino airstrip in a five minute drive from camp. Please complete the online transportation form.